Mind, Body, and Spirit
In this course, you will delve into new theories and research evidence in neuroscience, neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, epigenetics, mirror neurons, cell health, and brain development. You will then dive deeper into potential impacts of mind-body practices.
Karen Lawson, MD, ABIHM
Board Review Series
AIHM Board Review Course
Time to Complete
2 hours 30 min
What you will learn
In part one of this course, faculty delve into new theories and research evidence in neuroscience, neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, epigenetics, mirror neurons, cell health and brain development. We will discuss the impact of stress management, positive psychology, increased resiliency, and spiritual practices on improving one’s overall health.
In part two, you will delve deeper into a range of potential impacts of mind-body practices. Cutting edge evidence on yoga, biofeedback, meditation, spirituality and hypnotherapy is shared as well as basic breath awareness and relaxation practices.By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe new theories and research evidence in neuroscience, such as neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, epigenetics, mirror neurons, cell health and brain development; and their application in supporting the use of transformative practices in optimizing well-being.
- Describe the impact of stress management, positive psychology, increased resiliency, and spiritual practices on improving one’s overall health.
- Discuss the influence of transformative practices on shifting one’s perspectives and opening awareness to higher levels of consciousness and greater holistic health.
- Identify the range of potential impacts of mind-body practices-- including yoga, biofeedback, meditation, and hypnotherapy--on holistic well-being, including physical, mental, emotional, relational and social aspects.
- Experience basic breath awareness and relaxation practices.
- Describe the current research findings of practices such as yoga, biofeedback, meditation, hypnotherapy, and spiritual activities.
Certificate of Completion
Included in this course
Karen Lawson, MD, ABIHM
Karen Lawson, MD, is teaching faculty at the Center for Spirituality & Healing, where she leads the integrative medical education efforts, teaches about Shamanism, and directs all Health Coaching activities, including the Health Coaching track in the post-baccalaureate certificate program, outside consulting contracts, and research efforts. Since that time, her wide-ranging experience has included work as an integrative medicine consultant, and as a physician in emergency medicine and family practice. She is the former medical director of Lamat Medical Corporation in San Diego, Calif., and of The Wege Institute for Mind, Body and Spirit at St. Mary's Mercy Medical Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. She is a physician, board-certified in both Family Medicine and Holistic Medicine. She was the 2003/5 President of the American Holistic Medical Association and a founding Diplomat of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine.
The CME for this course has expired, however you will continue to have access to your purchased content.
This course is self-paced with no set beginning or end date. You may complete this course on your own schedule and pace. Enrolling in and purchasing this course grants you access to its contents in perpetuity.