Nutrition in Clinical Practice
In course, you will be provided with a a comprehensive review of nutrition in preparation for the ABOIM exam.
Erika Cappelluti, MD, PhD, MA, FCCP, ABOIM, ABIHM
Board Review Series
ABOIM Domain 1
Time to Complete
In this course, you will review how to prepare for the nutrition component for the board review exam which comprises 15% of the exam. Topics include:
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Macro/micro nutrients (including nutrient deficiencies)
- Therapeutic diets (gluten-free, Mediterranean)
- Elimination diets
- Social/cultural influences on diet
- Environmental factors (pesticides, mercury, local/organic sourcing)
- Functional foods
- Discuss the role of glycemic index and load in relation to food.
- Differentiate various therapeutic dietary approaches, including whole foods diet, DASH, low glycemic diets, elimination diet, anti-inflammatory diets, and low carbohydrate approaches.
- Identify environmental factors that influence food quality.
- Define functional foods and their role in diet.
This course includes:
Certificate of Completion
Course Components and Activities
Cappelluti MD, PhD, MA, FCCP, ABOIM, ABIHM
Dr. Cappelluti is board certified in internal medicine, pulmonary disease, critical care, and integrative medicine (IM). She began her career as a research scientist, obtaining a PhD in biochemistry and molecular biophysics at the Medical College of Virginia where she later completed her medical training. She was a resident, chief resident, and fellow at UMass Medical Center in Worcester, MA, then joined Connecticut Multispecialty Group (CMG, now called Starling Physicians) in 2004. She became a diplomate of the ABIHM in 2008 and of the ABOIM in 2015 and obtained a Master of Arts degree in IM in 2009. She founded and was the Medical Director of the Center for Integrative Health and Healing, the integrative medicine division of CMG, which later became the Center for Healing Arts after merging with the Hartford Hospital IM program. She has authored many scientific articles and abstracts and has written many articles about IM. Dr. Cappelluti is the current Director of the AIHM Fellowship program.