Vascular Biology & Vascular Aging
In this course, review prevention and treatment strategies that correlate the basic science and clinical application of vascular biology, the key to understanding the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, vascular disease, CHD and CVD.
Mark Houston, MD, MS, MSc
Board Review Series
AIHM 2016 Annual Conference
Time to Complete
1 hour 15 min
What you will learn
Vascular biology is the key to understanding the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, vascular disease, CHD and CVD. Endothelial dysfunction, nitric oxide, angiotensin II and aldosterone are some of the key mediators of CVD. Endothelial dysfunction is the earliest finding in CVD and predicts future risk for CHD and MI. There are infinite numbers of insults to the vascular system, but on three finite responses which include inflammation, oxidative stress and vascular immune dysfunction. Prevention and treatment will be reviewed that correlates the basic science and clinical application.By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the role of vascular biology in atherosclerosis vascular disease, CHD and CVD.
- Describe the role of endothelial dysfunction, nitric oxide, angiotensin II and aldosterone in atherosclerosis, CHD and CVD.
- Describe how inflammation, oxidative stress and vascular immune dysfunction promote CVD and CHD.
- Define the relationships of the finite vascular responses to the “infinite” range of vascular insults.
- Identify the pathways of vascular aging, pathogenesis, and how they relate to the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis, CHD and CVD.
Certificate of Completion
Included in this course
Mark Houston, MD, MS, MSc
Dr. Mark Houston is Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Clinical Instructor in the Department of Physical Therapy and Health Care Sciences at George Washington University (GWU), Director of the Hypertension Institute and Vascular Biology and Medical Director of the Division of Human Nutrition at Saint Thomas Hospital in Nashville, TN . He is the Chief Medical Officer for Ageless Solutions, US, Chief Medical Consultant for Bioceuticals and Chief Scientific officer for Bioceuticals, Australia and Chief Medical Consultant for Primal MD, Dubai, UAE.
The CME for this course has expired, however you will continue to have access to your purchased content.
This course is self-paced with no set beginning or end date. You may complete this course on your own schedule and pace. Enrolling in and purchasing this course grants you access to its contents in perpetuity.